This one seems pretty self-explanatory! The basis of every pastoral philosophy of ministry has to the truth of Scripture. Without this foundation pastors will be pulled all over the map on crusades into social justice and various other issues. Is social justice wrong or bad? Not in the least, but it can never be first! First we must always be willing to proclaim Jesus Christ as Lord. To point to His sacrificial death that paid the penalty for sin in everyone who calls on his name and repents! So ministry has to be faithful on the preaching and teaching of biblical truth, and on Jesus Christ as the final and complete sacrifice for us.
Following is a list of twelve places that Paul exhorts Timothy to know the Scriptures and then to preach and teach from them with authority. Some of these are very straight forward, some are implications that come from knowing the truth of Scripture and being willing to teach it. For as the Holy Spirit reveals and gives understand of the inspired word that He Himself wrote, pastors must be willing to teach and to teach it all (controversy and difficult passages too!)!
- Correct those teaching false doctrine and call them to a pure heart, a good conscience, and a sincere faith – 1Tim. 1:3-5
- Call women of the church to fulfill their God-given role of submission and to raise up godly children, setting an example of faith, love, and sanctity with self-restraint – 1Tim. 2:9-15
- Boldly command and teach the truth of God’s Word – 1Tim. 4:11
- Faithfully read, explain, and apply the Scriptures publicly – 1Tim. 4:13-14
- Teach and preach principles of true godliness, helping his people discern between true godliness and mere hypocrisy – 1Tim. 5:24-6:6
- Instruct the rich to do good, to be rich in good works, and to be generous – 1Tim. 6:17-19
- Not be timid but powerful – 2Tim. 1:7
- Be a teacher of apostolic truth so that he may reproduce himself in faithful men – 2Tim. 2:2
- Lead with authority – 2Tim. 2:14
- Interpret and apply the Scriptures accurately – 2Tim. 2:15
- Do the work of an evangelist – 2Tim. 4:5
- Preach the Word – in season and out of season – reproving, rebuking, and exhorting with great patience and instruction – 2Tim.4:1-2