When my family gets to travel we spend a fair amount of time doing things to make memories. We are not a family that likes to go places shop, or generally do “touristy” things. In the past we home schooled our children which allowed us to do loads of trips in shoulder seasons all over the area. Some of the destinations that we have hit included;
- Birch Bay, Washington (awesome sandy beach)
- Tillamook, Oregon (one word … cheese!)
- Seaside Oregon (cool haystack rock)
- Seattle, Washington (had to go for schooling, so took the whole family once)
- Abbotsford, BC (family)
- Owen Sound, Ontario (family)
- Banff, Alberta (saw a wolverine there once, no really!)
- Kalamath Falls, Oregon (loads of birds and crater lake!)
- Victoria, BC (wanted to see killer whales … did not find them … yet!)
Each one of theses places was picked for the natural sights or interesting things to see and do there (or family living there!). But one thing remains constant for us … we LOVE to squish pennies!
Yes, we are one of those families who collect things together. Not postcards, fridge magnets or even bumper stickers. Give us a machine to crush a penny and we are very happy! Plus, it is another way to make some memories of the trips. Digging through the pile of pennies we have amassed is a fun walk down memory lane in its own right!
So get out there, make some memories with your friends and family … and crush a penny or two to help you remember the good times!